Monday 23 November 2009

Rom 12:9-12

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honour one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervour, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Rom 12:9-12

These verses are just packed full of goodness! I want to pick up on just two thoughts. Firstly the idea of honouring other people above ourselves. Everybody loves to receive recognition and credit for what they do and their accomplishments, but this verse encourages us to promote others ahead of ourselves. It’s a great way to practice dying to self!

Secondly the idea of keeping your spiritual fervour. There’s a line in one of my favourite songs called ‘Deep In Love With You’ from Michael W Smith’s worship CD ‘A New Hallelujah’ that goes “My love for You is deeper than it was yesterday”. For those of us who have been Christians for a while it’s easy to say to ourselves, ‘well I’m in a different phase of my life right now’. That may be true, but our love and devotion for God has to go beyond singing songs of worship. It needs to find an outlet in service of some description – something that is extending God’s kingdom. That too is worship that not only touches God’s heart, but keeps helps us to keep our zeal and fervour for God strong.

You’ve probably realised by now that I’m averaging one word to go per week, which I think will be the case for a while. I wish you all a wonderful week.

To Listen Click Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment